Sunday, March 4, 2007

Audiobooks of 2007

One of the benefits of a long commute:

Don't Get Too Comfortable, by David Rakoff. Very entertaining. The author narrates, which I like. The segment about the Log Cabin Republicans is not to be missed.

The Funny Thing Is, by Ellen Degeneres. I love Ellen Degeneres, but I thought this was only so-so. My first Audible.com purchase.

My Invented Country, by Isabel Allende. Excellent. About Chile. Explained the relationship between Isabel Allende and her uncle, Salvadore Allende (of which I was aware, but I didn't understand it entirely). So very good. I wish Allende had narrated, the narrator was kind of gravelly-voiced, but not distractingly so.

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East, by Sandy Tolan. Wildly, incredibly good. So informative about the creation of Israel. I think he does a great job of telling both sides of the story - we don't often hear the Palestinian side. I want to purchase the book to give as a gift to my dad. I would listen to this again - I feel like there are parts of the beginning that slipped by. The author narrates. Successfully, I think. Wow.

No comments: