Saturday, June 9, 2007

Another book...

So I finished The Knitting Circle, by Ann Hood. I really wanted to like this book. In a nutshell, it's about a woman who finds knitting after her only child, a five-year old girl, dies after contracting bacterial meningitis. She joins a knitting circle at the urging of her mother after her daughter's death and is introduced to other women (and a man) who heal despite horrible personal tragedies through the power of knitting. Okay, I get it. Knitting is great that way. My problem with the book are that the dialogue between the characters was completely absurd. I need to find some examples - I should have marked them but I was too busy rolling my eyes. Another issue I had is that a parent losing a child is a relatively rare occurance, thankfully. But somehow everyone in the knitting circle had lost a child or was about to lose a child or was about to die of cancer leaving her four children motherless or whatever. Like I said, I really wanted to love this book because I completely believe in the transformative power of knitting. How restorative and therapeutic it is. And the fact that the author lost her own daughter. I dunno. I wanted to like this book but I just did not find it to be original or, or, or, something. Can't put my finger on it. It was like the plotline was kind of manipulative in some way. Not horrible, but I kind of wish that I had skipped it, especially since there are so many beautiful books stacked up waiting for my attention. Next up is The Reluctant Fundamentalist. We'll see...

Oh, and the new computer has shipped - hurray. Except that the monitor has been backordered. Bleck. And knitting? I've started the 2nd sleeve of Ariann and so of course I started a dishcloth. I just need something kind of mindless right now. What I really need is for the next two or three weeks to just pass me by then hopefully everything will be back on track. Ahem.

No comments: